Community Hours 28th July 2022: Supercharge App Configuration with Iparams

Learn how to accept user-defined configuration in apps using "iparams" and custom installation page. You're invited to attend our next 'Community Hours' session on Thursday, 28th July at 2:00 PM CET. Don't forget to register early and block your calendar.

Topic

Supercharge App Configuration with Iparams

Speakers

Jones Zachariah Noel N - Senior Developer Advocate at Freshworks (Follow Jones)

Recording

When

28th July 2022
5:30 pm IST (India)| 2:00 pm CET| 1:00 pm GMT (London)
Check your time zone

Agenda

• Introduction to app configuration
  • What are Installation Parameters
  • How to accept sensitive data
  • Validate user input using iparams.js
  • Define iparams for OAuth
  • Build a customized installation experience
  • Q&A

What’s in it for me?

Most Freshworks apps need to accept custom configurations from users. For example, an app that sends HTTP requests usually needs to get the API credentials and server hostname to send a request.

Installation Parameters (iparams) provide an API to accept user-defined configurations during app installation. These values can then be used in the app at runtime, and edited by admins later on.

Taking a cue from the recent increase of queries around iparams in the community forum, this session will cover the details of all the features app developers can use to accept user-defined configurations for their app.

Q&A Transcript

Q1: Would like to understand the concept behind creating a custom installation page and how the data is saved. Especially for Freshchat.
A1: Hi, It’s covered in the session with a demo. It’s common for all the Freshworks products including Freshchat.

Q2: One bug on App Submission page is if I try to click on proceed without adding the app, it gives an error but even then if I add the zip file, it doesn’t let me proceed. I have to refresh the screen and resubmit the app.
A2: Thanks for reporting it. We will pass it to our team to fix it. For any issues, you can create a forum topic or a support ticket.

Q3: Can we please bring public app reviews posted by customer?
A3: Thanks for the feedback. App Reviews & Ratings is something which we are actively pursuing. You will hear further about this in one of our future sessions.

Q4: How can I know how many downloads my app has got?
A4: Our product managers are already on it, to bring this into developer accounts and developer dashboards. For now, you can raise a request here: https://dev-assist.freshworks.com/support/catalog/items/48 (after sign up) to get the information about app installs!

Q5: What about freshsales?
A5: Are you asking about any specific attribute? All the functionality is also available for Freshsales.

Q6: Is this iparams also applicable in freshsales?
A6: Yes

Q7: We don’t need to add any URL and API key in iParam? How to get URL and API directly?
A7: Yes, we allow parameters such as url and api_key to be defined in the iparam.json which renders the equivalent fields on the standard installation page.

Q8: What about permission of Microphone in iparams
A8: We have microphone access in the frontend apps. It’s not possible in iparams page. Can you give us any case why would you need it? Also, please post it in our forum to discuss about it.

You can also have your question ready beforehand, as we have a live Q&A during the session, where our fantastic DevExperts will be answering all of your questions.

Can’t attend live? You should still register. We’ll share the recording after the session.
Looking forward to seeing you at the next event!

2 Likes

Did you REGISTER for our next session tomorrow, 28th July Thursday?

Session Agenda:

• Introduction to app configuration
  • What are Installation Parameters
  • How to accept sensitive data
  • Validate user input using iparams.js
  • Define iparams for OAuth
  • Build a customized installation experience
  • Q&A

See you LIVE tomorrow!

5:30 pm IST (India)| 2:00 pm CET| 1:00 pm GMT (London)

Check your time zone

REGISTER

Hi.

Can I get the recorder ? I didnt see the webinar form until today and I cant register :frowning:

Regards

Hey Andrea, the recording is now available on the same page. Please do check out!
Thanks!

1 Like

Helo xin chào tất cho mình một chiếc về dùng nhé