Receive response from External API in Freshsales Suite - Workflow Webhooks

Hi all,

I would like to seek advise for the following:

For FreshWork-CRM. At the Workflow → Trigger Webhook action. I’ve learned that we can call to an external API URL (configured under '‘Call back URL’).

If this external API is returning a response, is there anyway that we can capture the response?

Thank you.

I will need some help in understanding this in a better way,

So far what I’ve understood

1. Freshworks CRM (now being rebranded again as Freshsales Suite) has workflows in built. For any trigger, user can register and webhook and configure it for any CRUD operation with external system.
  2. But if the external system responds back to Freshsales Suite workflow with data, is there a way to capture it?

Is my understanding of your problem statement correct?

In the same case, could you also elaborate a bit more about the use case or requirement that requires capturing of the response form external system to workflow component?

Hi Saif,

Thanks for your response.

Item 1 & 2, yes you are correct.

To elaborate more, we are exploring using Webhook trigger for eg,
When a Deal moved to Won, Webhook would Post the Deal ID to external API.
External API will process something over there, and return a response to let Webhook know whether the process is successful.

Once the external system responds with a success message to Freshsales Suite, Is there anything specific you want to be happening in Freshsales Suite? If yes, you might be interested in taking a different route by building an app on the Freshworks Platform.

In case it is just to let Freshsales suite know that External API has processed successfully, it needs to respond to Freshsales Suite with status 200 - 299. Anything other than that indicates a failure.

Support Article > Test Webhook

When external system process successfully, it may response with a ID, and we want this ID to be updated back into the Deal record’s custom field. Is this can be done via the app on Freshworks CRM Platform?

One another question related to this. I have seen this page How to use workflows with Webhooks in Freshsales? : Freshsales Classic

It says we will received an email informing Webhook has failed. This email seems generic, there is no useful information such as what is Deal name, etc. (Assuming this Webhook triggered when a Deal moved to Won). So we have no idea for which particular Deal record that this Webhook event has failed.

Or is there anywhere that we can see a detailed log captured or something like this?

Thank you.

Hi Saif,

Thanks for your response.

For your question "Once the external system responds with a success message to Freshsales Suite, Is there anything specific you want to be happening in Freshsales Suite? " -> When external system process successfully, it may response with a ID, and we want this ID to be updated back into the Deal record’s custom field.

I have another question which is related to this. I saw this page How to use workflows with Webhooks in Freshsales? : Freshsales Classic

It says we will received an email informing that Webhook has failed. This email message seems generic, there is no useful information such as what is Deal name, etc. (Assuming this Webhook was triggered when a Deal moved to Won). So we have no idea for which particular Deal record that this Webhook event has failed.

Or is there anywhere that we can see a detailed log captured or something like this?

@cky Have you tried using external events to receive incoming webhook requests? (Assuming you are also building an app, apart from using Workflows)

You can combine this with Data Storage to keep a temporary state, and update the relevant entity in onExternalEvent.

Hi Kaustav,

Thanks for your reply.
" Have you tried using external events to receive incoming webhook requests? (Assuming you are also building an app, apart from using Workflows)" --> We are focusing on using Workflow’s Webhook request

1 Like

@cky - I suppose there are two ways you can go about this,

1. With an App
  2. Without an App

With an app

An app can be build that runs as a private app on the Freshsales Suite account. It creates a webhook that can be registered with 3rd party system to post the ID back to the app. So the app inturns with update the Deal Record.

Workflow → 3rd party → App → update Deal

Get Started with building Freshworks Apps

Without an app

When workflow component POSTs to 3rd party, The 3rd party needs to have a runtime that uses update a deal API

Workflow → 3rd party’s runtime → update Deal

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.