First of all, thanks for being a responsive community and also for helping me out with the CLI installation errors before.
I’m new to JS based development and decided to use FreshDesk extension as the first exuse to grow this direction, because we are using FreshDesk extensively in my workplace anyway.
Actually what we are lacking the most is a very simple feature: To have one button in the top navigation that can toggle (start or stop) the timer, without any further interaction/requirements. (Very much like what the Clockify’s integration button does externally)
- To have an icon/text on Top navigation (if text: “StartTimer”)
- Upon clicking that button, the timer should start immediately without any further popups/questions. (all settings can be default, we dont care about billable or comments)
- The timer should run uninterrupted until the button is clicked again (toggle) or stopped manually in the sidebar.
- The button should indicate toggle status: if icon: color change, if text:“StopTimer”.
- The button icon/text could be replaced by the currently spent time: [00:05:01] OnClick starts or stops.
- The Chrome tab title could also display the spent time diamically in case the toggle is ON.
Firstly we were very surprised that there is a nice inbuilt hotkey (m) to START the timer, but why is there nothing to stop it? (Opening the sidebar to do that is too much extra effort for quick interactions)
I have then tried the “Auto Start Timer” that is already available in the app store, but we niether want the trigger to be status based, nor we want it to stop automatically while not looking at the particular ticket page (because resolution needs working in different tabs.) If the sourcecode for that app is public however, I might be able to learn a lot from that in the right direction?! (do you know about that?)
There is then the “Timer On Tap” available as a sample app, and that is also quite close in the sense of having the icon in the right place, but to my understanding that also only starts the timer. + Unfortunately my current testing session with it runs on an error inside the popup sidebar: “Some error has occured while fetching Agents.”
–Steps taken sofar:–
I can find in the manual (/api/#toggle_time_entry) this reference:
curl -v -u email@example.com:test -H “Content-Type: application/json” -X PUT -d ‘’ ‘https://domain.freshdesk.com/api/v2/time_entries/3/toggle_timer’
I assume the above could be used for the purpose, but I’m not sure how best to implement it in the app code itself.
Also I’m not sure if I will need “serverless” or not, in order to have this applet available for our subdomain.
It can either be “Custom App” for us only or a public “FreshWorks App”, I have no prerefernce.
I really hope somebody could post me a sample code at least for the minimum requirements that we can then maybe experiment with further on. I assume it is very easy, and possibly many teams created such a button already, but for me it is still a thing to be crecked.
Thanks in advance.