- Serverless apps make use of external services like Email, Scheduler, Storage, etc.
- In order to use these services, it requires authentication keys to be used.
- Currently, these keys are kept in code, inside the server.js file.
- Sensitive info like auth keys are forced to be committed in repository.
- This poses a security risk of exposing the keys (even if it is a private repository).
- To provide an option to store environment variables (via fdk or through Developer Console UI)
This will help separate code from configuration.
Also, it will enable developers to have different configuration for staging and production environments.